We were asked along to the preview night of The Enchanted Forest in Pitlochry a few nights ago and we had the best time. The event is a fully immersive sound and light show through Faskally Wood and around the little loch there.
The forest is lit up with spectacular visuals and you are surrounded by light and music as you wander through the autumn forest.
The theme this year is ‘From The Deep’. The storyline follows Solas, the ancient Gaelic guardian of the deep, and as you walk round the forest you will go with him on an adventure to find his purpose. We walked through an erupting volcano, a coral reef, a kelp forest, and we saw a big menacing beast trying to catch and probably eat Solas and his friends…
It’s perfect for families, and there a few interactive parts and little 5 minute shows as you wander round, but I’d also go without kids because it was just so beautiful to see! We had perfect weather for it the night we were there – the reflections on the loch were unbelievably clear.
The whole thing was just stunning; everything from the lights, to the music, and the storyline that you follow as you go through the forest. You don’t often get a cohesive storyline at these events! It is hard to show how visually spectacular it is too. My photos certainly don’t do it justice.
We were in the woods for almost 2 hours in total, including a stop for churros. There are toilets available along the route and there are a couple of food stops too. You can grab yourself some fish and chips, burgers, churros or a nice wee hot chocolate.
My only tip for this event would be to take your time as you go round to experience the full thing. And make sure you read all the signs as you go, because they tell the story of Solas. Brilliant time.
The Enchanted Forest is located in the town of Pitlochry in Perthshire, about a 90 minute drive from Glasgow. You get a coach to Faskally Wood where the event takes place from just outside the Fishers Hotel within Pitlochry.
- Wheels: The trail around the loch and through the woods is good for buggies and wheelchairs. We saw a few of each when we were there. Buggies will have to go under the coach. There is a specific accessibility bus for guests with mobility or access needs, and there is limited onsite parking for wheelchair users. You can see more info here.
- Parking: There’s parking available at various car parks in Pitlochry. You can’t park along many of the roads so leave yourself plenty of time to find parking.
- Toilets: Toilets available at the Fishers Hotel where you will get the coach from, and in the woods.
- Clothing needed: Nothing in particular; just dress for the weather.
- Dogs: Not suitable for the furry family.
Tickets are available from The Enchanted Forest website. Under 3’s are free (but must have a ticket), children age 3-15 cost £14.50 and adults cost £26. You can also get family tickets for £72.50.
The Enchanted Forest is a stunning, family friendly event. It is the best light show we’ve been to; certainly the most visually spectacular with a clear storyline throughout. The smoky volcano erupting was a definite highlight. Highly recommend.
You can find out further information at The Enchanted Forest website.